Saturday, July 23, 2011

Why do little old ladies always win contests....seriously?

Okay, every time I enter a contest, or I enter someone else and there's a little old lady, she wins automatically. On the last two cruises that I went on, I learned how to expertly make those towel animals and each time I had an entire zoo of animals, all neatly intact and I made mine faster than anyone. But someone's grandmother won. She made towel animals that fell apart and the judge even helped her a little bit. She won the prize. A couple of people in the audience told me that I should have won. Also, in a local contest in town, they had a Good Samaritan/Good Neighbor contest for people who have done acts of kindness or done acts of heroism. I nominated a nurse friend of mine who has helped to save lives several times and has achieved honors from the hospital where she works, but they gave the prize to a little old lady who made pin-cushions for her friends. Then we had a best essay contest about why we like our neighborhood, and I and a friend joined forces to write terrific essay which many people thought would win for sure. But nope, some little old lady entered a paragraph or two and won the grand prize. Don't get me wrong, I love senior citizens, but has anyone else noticed how they always win in contests, or is it just me and my luck? In fact, one of the judges in the Good Samaritan contest told me in confidence that she cast her vote for the pin cushion lady because she wanted to make her feel good, and besides she deserves some happiness since she may not have too many years left. Am I heartless to get sort of frustrated that I'm always upstaged by a senior citizen at these contests?

No comments:

Post a Comment